What really picqued my interest was the comment that this was a good colour match for the GW battle mat. Now, I use a GW battle mat regularly, and I am very pleased with it, but I fancied a reserve especially for 5' x 3' games. Ideally, I was looking for something that could be repeatedly folded and stored in my " game trolley".
Before you comment that the GW mat is easily folded I prefer not to fold mine thereby avoiding permanent creases and consequent loss of the flock along the folds. As an aside, the mat is 4-5 years old and I've always used a 4 ft cardboard tube to transport it rolled and so far this has preserved it's good looks. If you are interested, the tube is a cut down central core from a roll of carpet which I scrounged from a local carpet shop.
Anyway, I thought this 100% cotton cloth would be easily folded and worth a punt. So I popped into town today to get one. On returning home my initial observations were:
- The cloth is not a match for the GW battle mat: it's lighter and much more yellow/olive.
- As advertised, it is just about 6 ft wide being only an inch and a bit short.
- The dye used is definitely not colour fast so do wash it separately.
- After washing and careful drying it shrinks: at least 3" along the long edge.
- The surface texture roughens after washing.
- When ironed the cloth surface texture improves somewhat.