Saturday, 11 January 2014

15 mm Gabions

In preparation for the start of this year's competition circuit I've been experimenting with my 650 point TYW Danish list for FOG R. One option is to include some field fortifications to protect the compulsory artillery. The only problem being that until yesterday I didn't have any. As you can see I do now:



These are resin models from Baueda. Two packs were enough for eight bases of field fortifications. One of the advantages of running Vexillia Limited is that I didn't have to wait for the postman to deliver them: I just went to the stock room.

The gabions were dry brushed over a brown base coat with some painted detail added to the top of the posts and the rubble filling. If I was to do another set I would use a light base coat and ink wash the wicker work as it would be much quicker. I also used the mini-project to experiment with the basing. I added a few clumps of flowers, the obligatory tufts (very trendy) and fine foam scatter rather than my usual static grass mix.

The switch from static grass to foam scatter was an attempt to increase the contrast in height & texture between the tufts and the other ground cover. The static grass/tufts combination can look a bit "samey". I think the foam scatter/tufts combination works well at 15 mm. So much so that I'm going to buy more foam scatter.

I used a small sample pack of scatter applying the foam with tweezers and dropping it on the glued sections. This was a bit tricky but as a result there's enough left to last me until I can get a full pack. Once purchased the pack will probably last me a lifetime, ensure consistency and I then can afford to ditch the tweezers and dip the base in the scatter.

2 comments :

Comments are always welcome but this blog no longer accept anonymous comments.