I’ve been having a bit of fun on TMP with the following:
“If you are tempted to begin your post with "So":
- Write your post,
- Go to the beginning of your post,
- If it begins with "So" delete it,
- Reread your post,
- If it makes sense post away,
- If not – edit the opening of your post,
- Go to step 2.”
Like all new idioms and modes of “speech” it gets very annoying due to over use. Then people like me try to hold back the flood. I don’t know why I bothered bar the fact it made me feel better.
If you are interested you can read the original post and the mainly less than original replies.
More links of interest:
- What's The Big Deal With Starting A Sentence With 'So'? – NPR (USA).
- How A Popular Two-Letter Word Is Undermining Your Credibility – Fast Company (USA).
- 20 of 2013's most overused words (No 6) – BBC (UK).
Time to get a life.