Tuesday, 21 November 2017

ADLG: Learning Materials Part 2

In Part 1 I chronicled my attempts at producing process sheets for ADLG.

In designing the process sheets I read the rules many times and that has helped me learn the rules.  Unfortunately, reading isn't the same as playing and most of the sheets didn't help me that much during play.

On reflection I feel they are too complex for me at the moment. I am still an ADLG novice and I need something far, far simpler. After I while I settled on the idea of unit cards arranged on a cheat sheet.  This adapts the idea from Battlefront's Team Yankee who I am sure saw it somewhere else.

The cards slice the rules in a different way to the process sheets.  Instead of a full set of tables covering one process and all unit types, a card focuses on one unit type across all processes:

ADLG: Learning Materials Part 1

As I began my preparations for my first ADLG competition I was inspired by a post on the ADLG Yahoo! group to develop my own reference sheets.  The first full version was finished a week later.

At the outset the idea was to:
  • Create a sheet on how to start a game.
  • Tabulate the factors for each of the four major processes in ADLG.
  • Combine the main tables and all the special cases.
  • Create sheets that could be used to look up factors during a game.
  • Act as a half way house between the full rules and the standard QRS. 
My plan was not to create a playing aid for long term use but rather create a learning aid to hasten the day when I could play with just the standard QRS.

Whilst working on the sheets I realised I had an opportunity to straighten out some of the logic used. I've written about this issue before; inconsistent phrasing of individual rules can make things far more difficult to memorise than they need be.

Monday, 20 November 2017

ADLG: Another Learning Game

I have finally found another local ADLG player.  His name is Gareth and he's got a mate called Paul who also plays ADLG. Hooray!

Our meeting was a happy accident. At the 5th Round of the Northern League I bemoaned my lack of local ADLG opponents to one or two players as one does in such circumstances.  As one conversation developed it turned out the person I was talking to had not only just bought something of mine from eBay but lived close enough to make regular games a real possibility. As we didn't play one another in competition we arranged a friendly a game for last Sunday.

Gareth has played far more ADLG in 2017 than I have so playing him would be good practice for me and build on my recent experience in the Northern League. I also wanted to see if my newly designed "cheat sheets" would be useful during a game.

We played at a new venue to me: Brimstage Forge. This is not exactly close to Warrington but it's an easy journey for me: all but 4 miles are by Motorway. As a bonus the venue has plenty of free off road parking. On a Sunday afternoon the venue was very quiet almost peaceful. We had our choice of tables in the clean, warm and well laid out large gaming room on the first floor.

Friday, 10 November 2017

I Used To Be Mystified Now I'm Addled

In October 2010 I changed my main ancient and medieval wargames rules from DBMM to Field of Glory (FOG).  As of this month I have switched again.  This time from FOG to Art de la Guerre (ADLG).

This has been a long time coming: I bought my ADLG rule book in September 2016 after looking for a copy for over a year.

When I started this blog many of the most popular posts formed the DBMM for the Befuddled series in which I tried to untangle, explain and illustrate how the rules worked.  Despite being for DBMM v1 the posts remain popular.

I started a fresh series of posts about my experience with the FOG rules: FOG for the Mystified.  In fairness there was a lot less to untangle with FOG and the series has proved both less extensive and less popular.

Now that I've begun to explore the delightful world of ADLG I thought I'd stick to the pattern and start a new series: ADLG for the Addled.  There's now a "Addled" label in the right hand column of labels for ease of access now and in the future.

I think this will be a worthwhile exercise as my recent experience has shown me that there's a lot of detail to learn with ADLG plus the rule book is somewhat fragmented.

Stay tuned for the next in the series which will feature an update of my "process sheets" and some experimental "unit cards".