I finished the second Timurid elephant this week after an inspired session last Saturday. I wish all my painting went as well as it did on that day. I sat down to do some basic blocking and it just flowed; patterns and all. To cap it all it’s now really sunny so the light is ideal for taking photos.
The only drawback with this model is the umbrella! Fitting three crew around the umbrella, which is drilled into the body of the elephant for stability, was really tricky. If you look closely you see the spearman is pointing backwards; it was the only way I could get all three crew to fit.
I also got time to take a few group shots of both elephants together. The pictures of the first elephant are here.
I have to say that this last shot is my favourite I wouldn’t have fancied facing this for real.