To solve this problem I've just had my copy repaired and rebound at Staples in Warrington for £5.20 and it looks really great. I asked the Staples print shop to:
- Take the staples out from the residue of the book.
- Cut the A3 pages in half.
- Trim 2 - 3 mm off the edge that formed the fold.
- Add a clear plastic cover and a posh card back.
- Punch binding slots in to the cover and pages.
- Trim the covers to match the pages.
- Bind with a black wire spiral.
Obviously, you need a UK store with a print shop and I think it helped that I agreed the price by phone in advance. Just make sure that you haggle a little: the first price I got was £11.50 but this was reduced when they used the "15 Minute Service Charge" to cover labour instead of their first choice.