Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Cilician Armenian Redux

A long time ago I had a Cilician Armenian ally for my Mongol Conquest DBM army.  I even wrote a Slingshot article about it.  Of course, the lists changed and the ally was no longer allowed.  So I sold off all of the infantry and all bar a few of the knights.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed the other day, that the Armenians can act as allies under FOG.  So I looked at the three elements I’d kept and decided I need to get my paint brush out again.  Here are the results.



I had nine figures already painted so I only needed to buy and paint three to complete a small FOG battle group. Or so I thought; if only life was so straightforward.

Once I’d painted the four new figures I decided I didn’t like some of the colours I’d used on the old figures.  So I repainted some surcoats.  Then I decided to add another layered highlight to the older horses.

Then I decide to add some flags.  The flags are based on the set of speculative flags and banners for Cilician Armenia provided by Chris Brantley and are all hand painted.

I won’t mention the problems I had with the varnishing except to say that a bit more re-painting took place.

Needless to say a quick job turned into a frustrating and much longer project.  In some ways it reminded me of a horrible DIY task.  In the end I’m pleased with the battle group.  Now I’ve got to do some infantry.

4 comments :

  1. They look really cool. Love the flags as well, nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. A good little grouping...and I too like the flags.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome but this blog no longer accept anonymous comments.